Saturday, December 13, 2014

Review PacktPub : Oracle Solaris 11 Advanced Administration Cookbook

I was asked by Packt Publishing to review a brand new cookbook about Oracle Solaris 11 written by Alexandre Borges:
https://www.packtpub.com/hardware-and-creative/oracle-solaris-11-advanced-administration-cookbook

As a consultant, I notice that our customers prefer Oracle Linux over Solaris.  But from time to time I do projects on Oracle Solaris.  That implies that I am more an Oracle Linux expert than a Solaris expert, but despite of that I was very curious about this new book to extend my knowledge.

I must say, this book is really a recommendation for people with a base knowledge that want to dive deeper into Solaris.

From the very first chapter you notice that this book is written by an IT expert for IT experts: no extended prose, just the very rudimentary theory and a lot of exercises, explained step by step.
Alexandre tested all his exercises in Oracle VirtualBox, so it is quite easy to test out the labs he made.  Unfortunately these days I don't have too much time to test it all out, but it is really one of my agenda topics for the next weeks.

Here is an overview of the chapters in the book:

(1) IPS and Boot Environments
(2) ZFS
(3) Networking
(4) Zones
(5) Playing with Oracle Solaris 11 Services
(6) Configuring and Using an Automated Installer (AI) Server
(7) Configuring and Administering RBAC and Least Privileges
(8) Administering and Monitoring Processes
(9) Configuring the Syslog and Monitoring Performance




Hint for Alexandre:
I guess there is still a small typo in the third chapter on top of page 161.  The abbreviation of "External Network Modifier" is not "EMN" but "ENM".


No comments:

Post a Comment